BRIGHT AND BROWN SPECIALIZES IN MAJOR BUSINESS AND COMMERCIAL LITIGATION
Since its inception in 1981, Bright and Brown has specialized in technically challenging, complex business and commercial litigation matters. The firm’s areas of expertise in litigation include a variety of business torts, real property related torts, and a broad range of contract-based disputes. The firm’s litigators have represented an assortment of business clients, including independent oil companies, large multi-national energy corporations, public utility companies, oil and gas interest owners, land developers, commercial property owners, and private businesses. While our firm’s experience includes strategic problem solving designed to avoid litigation when possible, our litigators have also consistently been very successful in obtaining excellent results through the litigation process.
Below are a few examples of notable results obtained for our clients:
- Bright and Brown obtained a jury verdict and judgment in favor of a commercial developer-affiliated oil company against a major international oil company for over $200 Million, which included compensatory damages for environmental contamination and punitive damages based on fraud. Featured as the largest of the year’s top ten verdicts in the California Daily Journal.
- Bright and Brown obtained a jury verdict and judgment in favor of an independent oil company against a major international oil company and a second independent oil company for over $48 Million for breach of contract based upon a right of first refusal contained in a purchase and sale agreement. Featured as one of the year’s top ten verdicts in the California Daily Journal.
- Bright and Brown represented a large utility against a major national construction contractor in connection with a failed construction project to build a 550 megawatt combined cycle power plant in a breach of contract action that was prosecuted simultaneously in both state and federal court. Between the claims and counter or cross-claims, the amount in controversy exceeded $120 Million. Bright and Brown defended against the cross-claims of the contractor and obtained a jury verdict and judgment in favor of its utility client for over $55 Million. Featured as one of the year’s top ten verdicts in the California Daily Journal, Bright and Brown successfully defended the judgment on appeal, and ultimately collected approximately $75 Million for the utility.
- Bright and Brown obtained a jury verdict and judgment in favor of a commercial land developer against a major international oil company for over $18 Million in environmental remediation costs and damages for trespass.
- Bright and Brown represented an independent oil and gas company in a breach of contract lawsuit against a local city in connection with an oil and gas development project to be conducted from an urban drill site on city-owned property, and obtained a settlement of $30 Million and future royalty interests for our client.
- Bright and Brown negotiated a very unique settlement for a landowner-developer valued in excess of $100 Million, which required extensive environmental assessment and cleanup pursuant to detailed Bright and Brown-drafted cleanup protocols and renegotiation of an existing oil and gas lease to allow development of the largest planned community in Los Angeles County.
- Bright and Brown represented a commercial landowner-developer in litigation against a major international oil company and successfully negotiated a settlement that required prospective environmental assessment, monitoring, and cleanup of the client’s property under agency oversight and included a perpetual indemnification of the landowner-developer for any prospective cleanup costs, lost profits, or increased borrowing fees resulting from the contamination.
- Bright and Brown represented private landowners in litigation over the contamination of property by a national public transit provider and negotiated a settlement for the private landowners that required the public transit provider to purchase the contaminated property for its full, uncontaminated value, to indemnify the landowners from any third-party or governmental claims and to pay for the landowners’ legal and expert fees incurred in the litigation, plus interest.
Call Bright and Brown at 818-243-2121 or contact us online today to schedule a consultation at our Glendale, California office.